8th Grade Science
Laurel Ridge Middle School
8th grade Science
School: (503) 825-5800
Classroom (503) 825-5836
Tips for success in Mrs Barnett's Science class:
1. check the 8th grade Google Calendar for presentations, videos, upcoming assessments and other resources.
2. Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions!!!
3. Review presentations from class.
4. Use the online textbook (link on the right of this page)
5. Check Synergy for missing assignments.
What to do when you are absent:
1. Visit the 8th grade Google calendar and print out any
2. Ask a friend what happened in class.
3. Try the work you missed. (You have as many days as you were gone to make up the work unless your absence is near the end of the trimester)
4. Check the absent file crate in the back of the classroom.
5. After you have followed steps 1-3 show any completed work to
me and ask what else you can do to make up the work missed.
How to raise your grade:
1. Check Synergy and locate low scores. Where do you tend
2. Check the 8th grade Google calendar to see when our next
checkpoint will be and ask Mrs. Barnett how to prepare.
3. Look over the current tracker and ask friends and Mrs.
Barnett about objectives you are struggling with.
4. Work on getting classwork and homework done on time.
→I need help, what do I do?
Take advantage of class time – please ask questions!
e-mail Mrs. Barnett any questions
Schedule an appointment with me – I will do my best to help you succeed!
- Check my website and the 8th grade team calendar for additional resources.
We use science binders to help stay organized. These binders usually stay in our classroom though they may go home at any time for extra study or to show off their work to family. The binder is organized using the alphabet. See pages below.
B: Weekly Lifeline: This is where we write our daily kick-off question and daily learning log. Students are encouraged to write in complete sentences.
D: Hall Passes
E: Peer Binder Check
G: Academic Toolkit: These pages don't go into e-SIS but help students understand the standards for assignments and assessments that do count for their grade.
This is also where your current tracker should be, G1.
Web cams of current volcanoes
Pacific Northwest Seismic Network Volcanoes page
Current photos around the Fukushima nuclear power plant
~ 8th Grade Science Simulations
~ Fabulous information on Atoms: http://www.chem4kids.com/files/atom_intro.html
~ More information on the Periodic Table of Elements and the families: http://www.chem4kids.com/files/elem_intro.html
~ Amazing Link: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/